The Heavies were located in the vicinity of Mazingarbe for most of the period from mid-April 1916 to end-March 1917. Many of their positions were adjacent to the mines and slagheaps shown in this view, looking north west, of the Lens-Bethune road entering Mazingarbe
A cross-roads in the village leads on the right to Vermelles where the Heavies saw fierce fighting in April 1917, and on the left to Bully, where they often enjoyed the hospitality offered by the estaminet of Madame Lavogiez. The field in the right foreground is the south western boundary of the Loos plain, scene of the battle of Loos in September 1915.
Much of the shelling which the Heavies carried out in this period attempted to neutralize German batteries on the eastern edge of the Loos plain.