Notre Dame de Lorette


Notre Dame de Lorette


Notre Dame de Lorette, the French national memorial and cemetery, stands on a hill 165 metres above sea level about 6 kms north west of the Canadian memorial on Vimy Ridge.

A chapel built on the hill in 1727 was enlarged to a church in 1860. Between 9 April and 16 April 1917 the Heavies used a position adjacent to this church as an observation point for their shelling in support of the attack on Vimy Ridge.

The tower and basilca were built in the 1920s to commemorate those who died in the three major actions which took place in 1915 around Notre Dame de Lorette.

Return