Notre Dame de Lorette


Notre Dame de Lorette

The tower at Notre Dame de Lorette, the French national memorial and cemetery, was inaugerated on 2 August 1925. It takes the form of a symbolic lighthouse and commemorates those who died in the three major actions which took place in 1915 around Notre Dame de Lorette.

Between 9 April and 16 April 1917, the Heavies used a position adjacent to an earlier church on this site as an observation point for their shelling in support of the action on Vimy Ridge.

Return